Tuesday 17 January 2012

The Darkest of Party Themes

Happy Tuesday!

You're not fooling anyone mate
Tuesdays on Juice have a bit of a film-slant (not too much, don't worry, there's music and inane banter as ever). With that in mind, this morning on the Breakfast Show with Guy & Andrea, I gave my verdict on The Darkest Hour (12A) in 3D. A film that tells the story of some stupid young people during an alien invasion. But this isn't just ANY alien invasion - oh no. The people behind this film (that's YOU Chris Gorak) obviously had a brief flash of genius: "I know, what if the invasion wasn't in America but in MOSCOW and what if said aliens were - wait for it - .... INVISIBLE". Sometime after this, Gorak was lobotomised, at least I hope he was to avoid such APPALLING films ever being made again.

I don't really know where to start in explaining why I gave this laughably bad movie 2 out of 10 in my review. I've seen some pretty dreadful horror movies, but normally they are somehow entertaining in a did-they-REALLY-make-that way. But this one takes the biscuit, and never before have I willed the main characters to die painful elaborate deaths so desperately - and this comes in the same week that I watched Final Destination 5 (7/10 if you're wondering). Half of them did, hence the 2 points I gave it. In fact, one of those points is for a cute cat who's abusive owner has wrapped it in chains. You can hear the full venom of my verdict in the review below:




James Tully from the Odeon cinema also came in for the Film Forum sporting a new haircut. We talked Golden Globe winners, Rickey Gervais' lackluster jokes, and this week's new releases including Haywire and Coriolanus. And Madonna's new movie, but I wouldn't bother myself.

James Tully Hair Watch - after an outbreak of nits


Also on the show today we discussed strange party themes when two staff members at Juice (Producer Jonno and Guy Lloyd) received invitations to a wedding-themed party. Yes, that's right - a WEDDING theme. The strangest party I've been to was Sarah Powell (ex-Drivetime presenter and dear friend) whose Birthday, this one year, fell on Friday 13th, so she hosted a bad taste / unlucky themed party. Costumes included Jesus, Hitler and Jade Goody. Appalling.

Listener's best themes included the UK Coach awards (rival to the Bus awards), a farmer's party and a "computer component party" where Justine dressed up as a mouse (clever girl). I would've super-glued a keyboard to my head - I'm imaginative like that.

More tomfoolery tomorrow!
Jonesy x

No comments: