Monday 16 January 2012

Adele whips the crowd up into a frenzy

Hello you!

And welcome to another week of blog fun.

So this weekend, I had my much-anticipated birthday celebrations, which I'd stupidly themed "hats & glasses". To be fair, people made quite an effort, with the good ol' animal winter hat proving incredibly popular. I, on the other hand, cobbled together the most bizarre outfit in my long history of fancy dress. Imagine if Lancelot and Lady Gaga had a weird love-child. And here he is:

What was I thinking???
The chain mail head piece (authentic) proved a particular focus, as people took it in turns stabbing me in the head to see if it REALLY worked. I did explain that if it didn't work, I doubt they'd have used it for hundreds of years. I think people just enjoy attacking me. Despite this, I was far from best-dressed of the night. That award goes to my faithful pooch, Alfie, who pulled off his hat with some style:

What a pimp
So, onto the show!...

Pussycat Dolls? Cat Stevens?
Today we discovered that Adele songs were the most popular karaoke choices of 2011. Don't get me wrong, I love her, but I don't really want to hear someone warble their way, badly, through "Someone Like You" when I'm trying to have fun. It's a complete buzz kill when I've just whipped the crowd into a frenzy with my latest 11-minute Meat Loaf rendition. The first 2 minutes go down quite well, after that people tend to switch off. Here at Juice Towers, attempts at singing ballads do NOT go down well, and people tend to get booed till they put the mic down, or cry, or in my case both.

Loz popped in for Sporting Briefs, which frankly are never brief enough (love you Loz). The highlight today was one darts player's excuse for losing a semi-final... turning the air-conditioning on halfway through a match. He forgot to pack his jumper. Truth be told, the Juice air-con in the studio is temperamental at best - it can transport you from Antarctica to the Sahara desert and back again within a few seconds but rarely that perfect middle ground (Barcelona?).

Record of the week is an artist called Youngman and his song "Who Knows?" I feel like they've booked themselves into a corner with that name - after turning 40, "Oldman" just doesn't sound as cool no? I guess Paul Young is still doing alright. Isn't he!?

See you tomorrow for the Film Forum with James Tully.

Jonesy x

No comments: